Thursday, December 13, 2012

Change is in the Air for 2013

It's that time of year, again!  Small business owners everywhere are beginning to look into the new year and figure out their goals and new directions for the new year.  Some will continue down the same path that has led them to success in the past, but CUTEure Creations will not be one of them, this time.

While this change won't affect my local customer base, my online customers will notice a change.  Starting in January of 2013, I will be focusing primarily on pattern sales online, rather than finished product.  There will still be times when I take orders for a limited time, but I will not take too many at once.

There are a few things that led me to this decision.  First of all, my wonderful customers and boutique owners have given me some opportunities for very large orders that have made it difficult to keep up with order production.  Secondly, my desire to do craft shows and branch out into wholesale accounts will benefit greatly from the extra attention I'll be able to devote to that part of my business.

There are other reasons for this, too, of course.  One is my health.  I've fought recurring carpal tunnel and tendonitis for years, in addition to other nerve damage in my arms, which is starting to make it difficult to complete my orders in an appropriate time.  I just can't keep up with the crocheters that can finish 10+ orders a day, every day.  Between that and the need to spend more time focusing on my family and less time focusing on my orders screen, I decided that a focus on patterns was the best happy medium I could come up with.

Besides, I really love the design process.  I love coming up with a new idea and making it work.  In the past, I haven't been able to spend as much time coming up with new ideas, because I have just been struggling to keep up with the orders in queue.  So, this is actually a bit exciting and sad for me at the same time.  I'm excited to branch out and focus on the parts of my business that interest me the most, but I am saddened because my orders have taken me so far! I can only hope that my original designs and patterns will continue to carry me forward, so that I can continue to help support my family the way I have over the past 2 years.


If you are a crocheter and want to know where to find my patterns, they will still be available in my etsy store.  In addition, you can find my entire collection, both for sale and for free, on Ravelry.  By following my page on Facebook, you'll be able to keep up with new pattern releases, testing opportunities, deals, and contests.

For those of you that don't know how to crochet and want to hang around for my order periods, that will also be announced on my Facebook page.  I cannot say how often these will occur because I don't know what 2013 has in store for me, but I will announce it on Facebook every time I can fit in orders!  I will also try to occasionally have some items (specifically seasonal) ready-to-ship as gifts that I will post on Facebook.


While I'm here, I wanted to extend a heartfelt thank you to all of my wonderful customers, both locally and those around the world.  You all supported me through some pretty rough times in the last few years.  Because of you, I was able to keep food on our table while my husband was looking for work.  Also because of you, we were able to save the money we needed to buy our first house last month!  If it weren't for the added income all of you have supplied over the last few years, who knows where we would be right now.  So thank you, all of you, for getting me here!  I hope everyone has a great holiday season and a happy new year!




No comments:

Post a Comment